If you’re looking for the perfect day trip near the Shenandoah Valley during your stay at Glen Gordon Manor, your search ends here! We have an exciting and historic excursion planned for you. Just a short 15-minute drive from our Virginia bed and breakfast, you and your loved ones can head to the iconic Washinton, VA area to enjoy shopping, history, flavorful wines, and culinary delights!
Enjoy Unique Shopping
After a short drive from our stately retreat, we encourage you to explore the marvelous shops and unique boutiques that Washington, Virginia has to offer. As you walk through each enchanting store, marvel at the glorious character each one has to offer while shopping for a variety of tableware, furnishings, gifts, antiques, jewelry, and more. First stop by the historic Tavern Shops, originally established in 1740 for their kitchenware and delicacies. Then head to R.H. Ballard Shop and Gallery for a memorable keepsake or find a new collectable from Antiques at Middle Street. After a well-deserved shopping day, stop by the Wine Love Chocolate shop for tasty coco bites and wine pairings. You won’t be disappointed!
Cheers to Fine Wine
This quaint town also offers several wonderful attractions for wine lovers visiting the area! First on our list to visit is the Little Washington Winery, one of Virginia’s wine country gems, located in the hillside of the Shenandoah Valley. They handcraft old world style wines from their own vineyard, offer tastings and a Foodie-U Wine School option for guests. These classes explore the flavorful world of wine and teach individuals how to pair their cuisine creations with the best wines. Classes are only $40 per person and last one to two hours.
Another great option is to tour the wine cellar at The Inn at Little Washington. They offer more than 2,400 wine options from the world’s greatest vineyards. Some of our personal favorites include:
- Koutsoyannopoulos, Assyrtiko, Santorini, Greece (2014)
- Vestini Campagnano, Pallagrello Bianco, Campania, Italy (2017)
- Quinta de Soalheira, Alvarinho, Primeiras Vinhas, Malgaço, Portugal (2015)
- Lucien Crochet, Le Chêne Marchand, Sancerre, Loire Valley, France (2016)
- Shea Wine Cellars, Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon (2015)
- Puriri Hills, Merlot Blend, Estate, Clevedon, New Zealand (2012)
- Clementine Carter, Grenache, Santa Barbara, California (2016)
- Graillot, Domaine des Lises, Crozes-Hermitage, Rhone Valley, France (2016)
- Bérêche et Fils, Brut Reserve, Montagne de Reims/Vallée de la Marnes (N.V.)
- Jacquesson, Cuvée 741, Extra Brut, Dizy (N.V.)
- Laurent-Perrier, Cuvée Rosé, Brut, Tours-sur-Marne (N.V.)
Caption: The Inn at Little Washington
Indulge with Dinner at the Inn
After a fun day of shopping, chocolate and wine, you can head to The Inn at Little Washington. This notable inn, nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, earned its rustic charm after being converted from an 1895 garage into a popular country restaurant. Since the remodel and re-opening in 1978, it has become home to many notable chefs, including the famous Patrick O’Connell. It has also won prestigious awards, like being named one of the best 10 restaurants in the world by Travel + Leisure. If you are a foodie looking for a bucket-list dining experience while in the area, a visit to The Inn at Little Washington’s restaurant is a great option, in addition to our own Houndstooth Restaurant. The fantasy-inspired dining room and unique menu creations make for a memorable evening, with some of their most delectable dishes including:
- Carpaccio of Herb-Crusted Elysian Fields Baby Lamb Loin with Caesar Salad Ice Cream
- Seafood Sausage with Tomato-Tarragon Butter
- Blackened Heart of Wagyu Ribeye with Grilled Romaine and Bone Marrow Custard
- Summer Vegetable Raviolis with Roasted Sweet Corn and Chanterelle Mushrooms
- Sweet Pea Panna Cotta with Baby Radishes, Snow Peas and Chilled Pea Flower Consommé
If you plan on dining in and partaking in the multiple course menus, they also have a wine pairing option too! Their tasting menu is $248 per person and wine pairings are $170 per person.
Stay in Luxury Lodging
After you wine, dine and experience the historic charm of Washington, Virgina you can head back to your peaceful and secluded room at our wine country inn to escape the crowds. With multiple room options to choose from, you can make your Virginia getaway exactly how you envisioned it.
Have more questions about this day trip or our room accommodations? Contact us and we will tell you all you need to know to make your trip to the Shenandoah Valley as memorable as possible!Book Now